Friday, July 3, 2009

Gingerbread Christmas in July

Christmas in July, one of my favorite times of year. Really, when I had my craft business, I was prepared to sell Christmas items at the July shows. The promoters would advertise their shows as "Christmas in July". This card was created for the "Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge #8. Come and join us creating cards from Priscilla's wonderful sketches. There are lots of prizes and cash...yes I said cash. Who couldn't use some cash to indulge in some stamps right?

Today's card is a JRL design stamp. Isn't this gingerbread guy great. I love Gingerbread stuff. I decorate my kitchen at Christmas in all Gingerbread. I punched the hearts from brown cardstock and puff painted them to look like cookies. Those are green glitter gum drops I had left over from last year. I decided to paint around the card and the square with the puff paint as well because I wanted a "cookie" feel to the card.
This is how I did the inside of the card. I just colored and cut the gingerbread boy from the original stamp image for the inside so it would match. The squiggles are puff paint that I free hand painted.

Aaahhh, I am now dreaming of Christmas. I want to make more Gingerbread cards. My collections of Gingerbread stamps are calling to me. I may just have to take out those sweet images and do something else.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope I have inspired you to maybe do a few Christmas cards. It is never to early to do a Christmas card once and a while so you are not rushing two days before Christmas trying to finish up. So go ahead, get out those Christmas stamps and stamp a few cards. You'll be glad you did.

13 comments:

Valerie said...

Love, Love, Love your card! I also decorate my kitchen in gingerbread for Christmas so just love this card. I hadn't thought of using puff paint so thanks for the tip. You did a wonderful job inside and out!

Priscilla said...

WOW..this card is WONDERFUL..makes me want to pull out the cookie sheet and get to baking. I love Christmas.. I know it will be here in no time too. YUMMY!! Your detail is incrediable and it looks good enough to eat. Thank you so much for playing this week

Michelle's Daydreams said...

A gingerbread card! How perfect for Christmas Carol! Your talent truly amazes me! Have a safe 4th of July! :) Michelle

Saskia said...

Gorgeous card!

Saskia :)

Jeni C Slack (^0^) said...

Carol, this gingerbread is just so sweet and delicious! I love how you put the gum drops and the gingerbread and puff paint. Thanks for playing this week, hope you have a happy 4th! best, ~Jeni

Carolyn said...

A girl after my own heart ;)
I did a Christmas card for this one too. I love yours. All the lacy, frilly details are wonderful. Makes me want to put the tree up.

Thank you so much for playing with us at the MMSC this week!

Carolyn, MMDT member
http://creativecardcorner.blogspot.com/

Winnie and Patty said...

Carol--this card has so many elements, I don't know what to look at first! It is absolutely amazing!!!! You out did yourself with this one! Will email soon. Paty

Sue McMahon said...

Hi Carol! I love your Christmas Card!! Perfect take on this weeks sketch! Thanks for playing with us and can't wait to see what you make next week!

Sue
MMDT Member
http://mcmahonfive.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! TFS

Kristine said...

Hello Carol! :) Thanks for stopping by today! I love your card!! That white squiggly around the edges is PERFECT--reminds me of the icing you decorate Christmas cookies with! Love everything about this. Great job! ;)

Stacy Kay Brais said...

This is sooo cute!!! I love the Gingerbread Stamp!!! My kitchen is in Gingerbread at Christmas too, I would love to see pictures.
Have a great day!!

Orso Bear, Esq said...

Let me get this straight - Is the card actually made of gingerbread? Could I eat it?
Yours in excitement,
Mr Orso Bear, Esq

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Scrumptious!